Pages

Saturday, May 7, 2011

Over-editing?

I've been busy these last couple weeks. Not so much writing, but more thinking. Trying to understand things that I'll never be able to understand no matter how much I try. It gets a little frustrating, knowing that I'm never going to arrive at an answer, but it's entertaining enough.

This thinking has also pulled me away from editing. Or maybe that's just an excuse.

I'm actually afraid to edit. A few weeks ago when I was actively editing, I started coming up with all of these ideas, all of these different directions that I could have taken the book, and I couldn't decide whether any of them actually fit with the book. It almost felt like I was adding in entirely new plotlines. And it was starting to become a little bit unrealistic because my MC was starting to have nothing good in her life. She was fighting with friends, she lost everything that she depended on, and all of this crazy stuff.

So I cut one of the subplots that I'd added in.

As refreshing as this was, I couldn't help but feel that I had completely wasted my time working on this subplot. But I didn't because this subplot gave me the idea for another subplot, which I kept.

I'm planning to start editing this week. But I want to start working on specific scenes, specific paragraphs, and specific sentences, rather than the whole book.

Wish me luck! And good luck to all of you as you embark on your own writing adventures. Are any of you having the same problems I am?

No comments:

Post a Comment